Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Tuachan Duathlon

They had a kid's race after the adult one and all the kids ran in it. It was about 1/2 mile!


I did it! I had been thinking of doing the annual Tuachan Duathlon race near my house for a while and just finally signed up last week, just 5 days before the race. I know, I'm crazy. I work out often enough that I thought I could be in good enough shape to just do it. And that's what I did. It was a sprint distance of 1 1/2 mile run, 12 mile bike ride, and another 1 1/2 mile run. Checking the weather the day before called for rain, great. But upon arriving it was clear and brisk. I had two shirts on and fleece liner biking tights and I am so glad I did. I like to be warm! I borrowed Matt's sunglasses to block the wind on the ride and put them on my head before the race started. We took pictures, talked, and shivered while we waited for the race to start. Everyone started all at once, the Sprint and Olympic distances. On your mark, get set, GO! I start off my first run just fine, so glad to turn around and not follow the others to the longer distance. I can run, but I don't love it at times. I race to my bike for the next transition and I put my helmet on... only to find out that it is so tight. I brought Treyson's helmet because my head is tiny and it fits me the best, but it was tighter than normal. I tried to pull on it, but nothing budged. Oh well, no time to fix it I have to go! I'm cruising on my bike and hit the turn around spot with enough time to wave at the family. Next obstacle is to "climb" Snow Canyon. Not bad, adrenaline helped. On my way back down Snow Canyon I realize that the wind makes it so hard to see good. And it's right at this moment that I remember that I was wearing sunglasses on my head at the beginning of the race. OH! That's why my helmet is so tight. I have sunglasses on my head hidden under my helmet. Way to go. No time to think about that... I make it back to the starting point again and head out for my last run. I start out and woah, my legs are jello. I fight it and try my best to run. As I'm running, I'm counting the girls I see in front of me.. 1,2,3,4,...5, only 5. I think, that can't be right. But I finish as strong as I could. All and all I liked the race and I felt okay doing it.
Awards were given out after a while and to my amazement, I got 2nd in my age group!!!! So exciting, huh?! I can't wait until the next one! Here I come...

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, you are just kicking everyone's butt! That's so fun. I am glad you signed up for the sprint tri. I should see you there. You will do great I am sure. You are SO lucky you can practice the coarse. I have just been running on an indoor track, and biking on my bike trainer. I am getting a little nervous. See you soon!

Ashlee and Shane said...

that is so awesome haley! i would love to do something like that!

bladenfamily said...

Way to go! I totally would have done it with you. That sounds like fun. Maybe we can plan for next year!

PalsRWe said...

Woo Hoo Hot Mama!!!
That was so exciting to read, I got a rush just reading that.. I am so proud of you for accomplishing something so intense.. I can't wait for the okay from my Doctor to start exercising again..
I envy your fit little body..
Hugs Kiley
PS... Just noticed the other day the gift I ordered for your Birthday, about 2 months ago (well the order never went through).. So keep a look out.. It should be coming soon..

Molly said...

Go Haley! Go Haley! Go Haley! It's your birthday...not really...dance anyway!

adrianne s. said...

Way to go, Haley!!! I would just tell everyone that I cam in 2nd!

Unknown said...

Hayley, I wanted to ask you how they have you start the swimming portion of the race. Do they start you in the pool?