Wednesday, October 22, 2008

San Antonio Trip




Matt and I are back from our trip to San Antonio! We had such a fun time there. We ended up staying with friends (the Atwoods) from dental school and caught up on everything except sleep. (I'm still catching up on that...) JJ Campbell stayed with them too so we had a grand ol' time! Thanks for the dice game, good times.
First off I have to tell you all about our trip to the Vegas airport to leave... wow. We gave ourselves an hour and a half to make it down there and we had to stop by Matt's office on the way out, go to the bank, pick up lunch, etc. etc. So really we only have less than an hour by then, oops. So Matt made up time by speeding, really speeding. Okay, he didn't speed too much! But we did make it into Vegas in about a hour and 20 minutes, which it usually takes 1 hour and 45 minutes. We are feeling good about making up time and just about that time traffic comes to a dead stop. Umm, what is the problem? I'm scanning radio stations to see what the deal is, mind you, it's 130pm in the afternoon, not time for traffic. Found out that the freeway goes down to 2 lanes, not good. Sooo, we sit in traffic for a good 45 minutes, maybe longer. So much for making up time. And we decide to get off and take back roads, not a good idea. The city streets are just as bad and the lights are totally not timed right and we miss just about every one. Right now we are sweating bullets and I'm frantically calling the airlines to see what we can do, which is not much. We finally pull up to skycab check in with 25 minutes until take off. I'm thinking there is absolutely no way we are making our flight. And I already checked to see about the next flight out, totally booked. Sooo, I check us in and Matt raced to park the car, meanwhile I book it (Macey in tote) racing down the Vegas airport. Standing in security line was brutal! Right when I go through the first security check, Matt shows up, too late to step up with me. He has to wait in the line just like I did. Right now there is about 10 minutes until take off. I figured my best bet is to go through security by myself and run to hold the plane for Matt. So I again, race to the gate. And why is it that whenever you are in a hurry the gate you need to go to is the last possible one?! Ahhhh! I finally get to the gate, totally out of breath, and ask them to please hold the gate for my husband because he's like 2 minutes behind me! Okay, maybe 10, but if they hold it for 2 they might hold it for 10. Matt finally shows up and I can breathe. We don't get to sit together, but we are only a row apart. Our plane leaves like 2 minutes later. I had my prayers answered on that one!! That was too stressful for us so we made sure we were at the airport plenty early on the way home. But our time there at the conference was really fun. We ran into Case alumni while we were there. Macey was a huge hit at the conference, she got her picture taken twice by the ADA daily newpaper and made the paper one day! I got to hang out with my sister Carey and her husband Erick, saw where she works, met her friends at work, and we occupied our time by bead shopping and eating! Thanks to Carey and the Atwoods for putting us up and toting us around town. I hope it isn't too long until we see you all again... good times.

5 comments:

The Larsons said...

Sounds crazy! And fun! No pictures?! Did you go to any Alliance stuff? We are really going to try and make it to Hawaii next year!

Haley said...

I just haven't loaded them on the computer yet. And Sabrina took some too so I need to get those from her... Hawaii sounds great, huh?! There was a booth for people to already book hotels and register. I'm sure it'll be CRAZY there! And since I had Macey I didn't make it to too many classes, too hectic.

Michelle Baird Designs said...

Fun...and crazy airport story. Wish I was a fly on the wall to watch it all happen. Kind of nerve racking then, but funny now.

adrianne s. said...

I feel stressed just reading about it. I hate airports and all the hurrying and rushing just to have to sit and wait, but I guess that you figured out how to avoid the sitting and waiting in the airport part! Sounds like a fun trip!

PalsRWe said...

Oh my gosh thanks for the anxiety and panic attack.. I was hoping to read something fun and happy.. I hate being late and rushing.. NO Fun.. Good job on "NO tickets".
HUgs, Kiley